“It is not imaginable for girls to walk safely in camp at any time of the day, any day of the year. So how do you live your day?”
Whatever life you lead, you know you do not want to swap for life in a refugee camp. Our beautiful friends in Africa have been chased from their homes by wars they have no part of. Now, they find themselves in abominable situations for adults – and much worse for youth, some of whom know nothing but the camp’s daily violence, rape and hunger.
end gender violence
culture for kids
refugee camp life
What is missing here?
Harnessing Sumaili’s phone and english skills, they work to improve their food conditions, add meaning to their days, gain an education (barred by parents), HEAL, counsel girls, change life … using a bundle of YL methods to develop a multiplex model to replicate throughout camp and in other camps on Earth!
They are the most spectacular and precious eye witnesses imaginable for a global reality that all of us can now dare FEEL because now we can act on it and with small resources make robust changes onsite – while keeping in mind : to get them out of there. #bemoreawesome
Musician, 17, Congo
Singer, 17, Congo
Dancer, 13, South Sudan
Fashion Designer, 15, Congo
Dancer, 13, Congo
Model, 16, Congo
Footballer, 18, Congo
19, South Sudan
Dancer, 17, Congo
Singer, 16, Congo
Chef, 18, Congo
Football, 19, Congo
Tailor, 18, Congo
Model, 16, Congo
Singer, 19, Congo
Shaping their skills, mindset and biographies as youth leaders, project managers and community organizers with many friendly inter/national relations creates opportunities for them to make a life outside the camp, all over Earth. Go!
Migration, conflict and refugee camps being a constant heavy topic for conscious journalists, educators and the SDG sector, you have a UNIQUE and powerful story set to share to grow reach, support and impact.
- youth voices, unfiltered
- Congo and Sudan, war regions
- youth leadership in camp
- reduce extreme sexual violence
- create food abundance
- create beauty, joy, meaning
- with options for audiences
- to take part in many creative ways
- to meet via video and pay visits
and celebrate achievements.
You don’t get this anywhere else … until together we replicate it to other camps!
- 100 soap bars
- 1,000 menstrual pads
- funds to buy phone data (coaching, video meetings)
- funds for self-made cookies, lemonade (club refreshments)
- equip the office with table, flip chart, board, little useful stuff
- solar panel, batter, inverter
- YL LearnSpace Pack (posters, manuals, book, workshop…) and poster sets for mobile exhibits at schools, UN canteen …
- water filters
- 2 (used) laptops (year 2013+), more welcome, 2 external hard drives, 4 USB sticks, i backup adapter and cable
- 5 foldable tables and chairs for mobile use
- 100+ used phones (no card required), storage cards welcome, to use as players for Hero*ine stories, photos, videos, music, educational content, for girls to take home, share with peers, siblings, family (with battery and charger)
- (used) laser printer, black and white ink, 10,000 paper
- 1 (used) projector for club and village cinema
- gardening equipment, shovels, wheel barrows etc, wire and hoses for tower gardens …
- water pump, hose, tanks (dry region, distance in camp)
- seeds, seedlings
- 5 sewing machines, used ok, thread, supplies
- tissue, diverse, for camp, local and global sales
- sevengardens equipment to source colors from plants; mortars, veggies, roots
- paper, crayons, colors, brushes, for arts activities with kids, teens, families
- 50 team t-shirts
- 1,000 camp campaign buttons
- 1,000 (used) good books donated by middle, high school students and adults for a Magical Kids & Teens Library (Harry Potter, Dinosaurs, Our Earth, Bone, Tales, Science …) funds for shipping; 1 single school can do this by each student giving 1 book. Go! More welcome.
- folders, 1,500 stickers etc to set up a library system
- 100 kg (200 pounds) of LEGO, plastic zipper bags for 1 kilo gifts to kids
- 1,000 marbles
- 20 good footballs